Richard Wilkins said: “Miracles start to happen when you give as much energy to your dreams as you do to your fears. Perhaps the greatest challenge you will ever face in life is the conquest of fear and the development of the habit of courage. Fear is, and always has been, the greatest enemy of mankind. When Franklin D Roosevelt said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”, he was speaking about the emotion of fear, the cause of the associated anxiety, stress and unhappiness it brings. When we develop the habit of courage and unshakable self-confidence, a whole new world of possibilities opens to us.
Fortunately, the habit of courage can be learned, just as any other skill is learned. Fear is rooted in childhood conditioning and causes us to feel two types of fear: the fear of failure, (I can’t, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t), the fear of rejection (causing us to think I have to, I have to, I have to , I have to. )
We become preoccupied with thoughts of losing our money, our time, our emotional investment in a relationship. We become hypersensitive to the opinions of people, also possible criticisms from others, sometimes to the point where we withdraw and choose not to interact with others anymore. Yes, our fears, rather than our physical situations, can paralyze us, and hold us back from taking constructive action towards our dreams and goals. And then we forget that great dreams and great achievements were born out of seemingly impossible situations and circumstances.
It is normal to be concerned about your physical, emotional and financial survival. The courageous person is not the person who is unafraid. Mark Twain said: “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. In the end, the courageous person is simply one who goes forward in spite of fear.
- Have I not commanded you? Be STRONG and COURAGEOUS. Do not be AFRAID, do not be DISCOURAGED, for the Lord your God will be WITH YOU, WHEREVER you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)
- Sometimes standing against evil is more important than defeating it. The greatest heroes stand because it is right to do so, not because they believe they will walk away with their lives. Such selfless courage is a victory in itself.
- Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
- Being terrified but going ahead and doing what must be done – that is courage. The one who feels no fear is a fool, and the one who lets fear rule him is a coward.
- Courage is about doing what you’re afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you’re scared. Have the courage to act instead of reacting.
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
- Who dares nothing, need hope for nothing.
- Use your fear… it can take you to the place where you store your courage.
- Wait upon the Lord be strong, and let your heart take courage. Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers.
- Another word for creativity is courage 😊
- What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
- Success is not final, failure is not final: it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Fire tests gold, suffering tests brave men
- The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.
- When Jesus overheard what was said, he told the synagogue leader, : “Don’t be afraid. Only believe”. NEVER be afraid of your situations. Things may not turn pink and dreamy, but God is on your side. And that means the devil is mortally scared.
- Courage is very important. Like a muscle, it is strengthened by use.
- He who loses wealth loses much, he who loses a friend loses more, but he that loses his courage loses all.
- Courage conquers ALL things.
- Its not the size of the dog in the fight. It’s the size of the fight in the dog.
- What would life really be if no one ever needed to be an example of courage?
- One of the greatest discoveries a man can make, one of his greatest surprises, is finding that he CAN do what he was afraid he COULD’NT do.
- Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.
“FEAR not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you. (Isaiah 41:10 NIV)